In my family, we’ve cooked turkey every which way, but we always make Grandma Helen’s stuffing. It tastes like home, and I crave it all year long. Thanksgiving just wouldn’t be the same without it.
My grandmother, who lives in Waco, Tex., is an amazing cook. Her home is a (beyond) five-star experience. She’s never served a meal that doesn’t have candles, crystal, and beautiful silver. She treats her family like special guests, even serving simple eggs on a china plate with a gorgeous fork. Eating at her house is an incredible experience.
My perfect bite at Thanksgiving is a bit of turkey, whole-cranberry sauce, and Grandma Helen’s stuffing on a fork, followed by a sip of champagne. Eat, and repeat.
1½ (8-inch square) pans corn bread
4 slices Italian bread with sesame seeds, torn into very small pieces
4 hard-boiled eggs (use just 2 of the whites), mashed
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 Tbsp chopped sage
1 cup chopped parsley
2 1/2 cups chopped celery
1 cup chopped Spanish onion
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, divided
1 (14-oz) can chicken or turkey broth
Active Time: 15 min
Total Time: 45 min
1. Crumble corn bread into a large bowl; combine with Italian bread pieces. Add mashed egg yolks and whites. Sprinkle with seasoned salt, white pepper, sage, and parsley. Toss gently to mix. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Set aside.
2. Sauté celery and onion in ½ cup butter until soft.
3. Add onion and celery to bread mixture and toss. Pour in most of broth and mix well. Add more if mixture seems dry.
4. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with 1 Tbsp butter. Transfer stuffing to pan. Lightly moisten with more broth if needed. Dot top with rest of butter.
5. Bake at 325°F for 30 to 40 minutes, until browned on top, or stuff in a turkey and cook until done.
When my grandmother makes this stuffing, she tops it with little bits of butter, which then melt.
Grandma Helen makes her corn bread with white cornmeal, not yellow.
Mix wet and dry ingredients gently with your hands or a large fork to keep the stuffing light
Serve the stuffing in a crystal bowl with a silver spoon. Set the bowl on top of a beautiful tablecloth.
SERVES: 12 | PER SERVING: 190 calories, 20g carbs, 7g protein, 9g fat, 90mg cholesterol, 670mg sodium, 2g fiber